Thursday, April 3, 2014

MIA

I haven't posted since last week for one really good (to me) reason. I made a quilt face!
Not the most difficult (in fact, easily the easiest ever) to make, but it still took a full 5 days (well, one full day and a bunch of evenings after work) to complete. I have a purple fabric for the back, so once it gets quilted it'll go on our guest bed in the basement. I think it may be too big for me to quilt myself which is sad, because it's going to cost about 4 times as much as it's worth to have someone else quilt it. Especially because I'm not emotionally invested in this one like I have been in my previous quilts. I literally woke up Saturday morning, decided to make a quilt, and by Monday night I had all the squares sewn into throw-blanket size. I spent Tuesday washing the old sheets and Wednesday night sewing the red to my spare squares.

It is the postage stamp design, then I added the red to make it a queen-size quilt. I wish I'd had another jellyroll that matched, but alas I did not. I'm not really a big fan of the red fabric I used but I'll let you in on a secret - it's an old sheet and I didn't feel like spending a lot of money on muslin for a quilt that I'm not really ever going to see. The purple backing is also an old sheet. Look at me being all thrifty.

I was thinking earlier this week of the story I posted about my Grandma and Grandpa Hale. I think I'm going to start writing down more memories of loved ones. Memories tend to fade after time and I'd be a shame to forget how Amanda use to follow me around the house and wouldn't let me leave without telling her where I was going and when I'd be back, or about how Andrea absolutely could not be interrupted or she'd throw her hands in the air and exclaim 'Now I have to start ALL OVER'. What's life without memories?


No comments:

Post a Comment